Behavioral health services are available through all MHIP plans. Services include inpatient, outpatient, and substance abuse treatment. To see the available plan options refer to the MHIP Enrollment Guide. Behavioral health services for MHIP are managed by Magellan Health Services on behalf of CareFirst.
- Pre-authorization is required for all behavioral health services as follows:
- MHIP HMO members are required to have both inpatient and outpatient services pre-authorized
- MHIP PPO members are required to have only inpatient services pre-authorized
- To locate a behavioral health provider, visit the Find a Provider section of www.carefirst.com. Select Medical, then the plan you are interested in (MHIP HMO using the BlueChoice network or MHIP PPO using the BluePreferred network), then Behavioral Health.
- MHIP HMO members will be automatically linked to the Magellan provider directory to finish their search.
- MHIP PPO members will finish their search on the Find a Provider site.
- If you are interested in HealthyBlue, you can search the BlueChoice HMO network to find in-network level providers, or you can search the BluePreferred PPO network to find out-of-network level providers.
Please call Member Services at (443) 725-1010 or 1 (888) 456-2024 for more information about behavioral health services.