Fraud Costs Top $85 Billion a Year Nationally
Report Suspected Fraud: 1-800-336-4522 (or 410-998-5480)
Health insurance fraud has many forms, but collectively it is costing upwards of $85 billion a year, according to the US General Accounting Office. As members and providers, please help us fight fraud and protect yourself by letting us know when you encounter the following:
- An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) showing prescription drugs that are offered for free
- An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) showing prescription drugs that you did not receive or that shows providers or dates of service that are not correct
- Someone using a member ID card that is not theirs
- Billing for prescription drugs that were not provided
- Billing for prescription drugs that are more complex or expensive than the drugs provided
- Doctor shopping – visiting several doctors to obtain multiple prescriptions (often for controlled substances).
You can help prevent fraud by keeping your member ID card in a safe place. If your ID card is stolen, report it immediately.
You can report suspected fraud using this online form.
You can also contact our fraud hotline at 410-998-5480 or toll-free at 1-800-336-4522. Phone calls can remain anonymous.